Director Identification Numbers
What is a Director Identification Number (DIN)?
A director identification number is a unique 15 digit identifier which will become compulsory for all directors of an Australian company from November 2021.
What does this mean for you?
If you are currently a director of an Australian company or you wish to become a director, you’ll need a director ID. The data will be kept in the new Australian Business Registry Service (ABRS), which will be maintained by the Australian Taxation Office.
When do I need to apply?
Applications for director ID’s will open from 1 November 2021 however, the date by which you need to apply for your director ID is dependent on the date you became a director, see table below.
Current directors have until 30 November 2022 to apply for their director ID.
|Date you became a director
|Date you must apply
|On or before 31 October 2021
|By 30 November 2022
|Between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022
|Within 28 days of appointment
|From 5 April 2022
Australian directors – How do I apply?The fastest way to apply for your director ID is online through your myGovID app. As this process will require verification of your identity, there is no capability for someone to apply on your behalf.
To complete your online application, you will need:
- A myGovID. If you don’t have one, visit myGovID here
- An individual Australian TFN
- Your residential address, as recorded by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
- To answer two questions based on details that the ATO knows about you from the required documents, such as bank account details, notice of assessment, superannuation account details, dividend statement and PAYG summary. You can find a list of these documents that you are able to use to verify your identity here. The easiest may be to select the bank account details and the notice of assessment options. Both are available on your mygov account, alternatively, our office can also assist you with these details.
- Once ready with the above, you can apply here
How can we help and what do you need to do?
If you are having issues applying or have questions relating to the process, please reach out to either your client manager or Kirsten Eldering of our office.
We will be testing the platform and application process this week. We don’t encourage you rush out and get this task completed as, like many government roll outs, this process may have teething issues initially.
In preparation, we recommend setting up your MyGov ID with strong proof of identity.
Once you have received your Directors ID, please send us a copy via email to email@example.com for our records.
We will send out emails over the course of the next few weeks and months to help with the application process or remind you of your obligations to apply.
Please click here to view Australian Taxation Office’s video